Who can join?

Dugan’s Travels only accepts U.S. Citizens or U.S. Residents residing in the 50 U.S. States including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. At time of sign-up, you will be required to submit a copy of a valid U.S. state issued driver’s license or identification card, U.S. Passport or U.S. Resident Alien Card.

What does it cost to become an independent agent for Dugan's Travels??

Effective February 1, 2014, the joining fee for Dugan's Travels is $300/agent. Joining fee must be paid by credit card.

What does the insurance cover and should I get my own?

We are insured by Gulf Underwriters. The policy is 1 million dollars with a $5,000 deductible.

What if I have my own insurance?

If you have your own insurance, please provide proof upon joining the agency. The insurance must be in your name. If you are working with another host that offers insurance, it would not cover you. You will not have a renewal fee as long as you have proof of your own insurance.

Am I an employee of Dugan's Travels?

No, you are not an employee. You are an independent contractor and can use your own business name. You will be using our travel agent association ids (IATAN and CLIA) to make bookings.

I live in Canada can I join?

We no longer accept agents outside of the United States.

I live outside the US and Canada can I join?

We no longer accept agents outside of the United States.

What if you have experience?

For the agent with experience, this is a way to work from home without all the overhead costs.


Our Staff is available online at our agents only website, by email and by phone.

Airline tickets?

Most airlines do not pay commission anymore. However those that do, they have given us an online account to receive commission. We do not issue airline tickets but work with suppliers who offer airline tickets. An example of one of these companies is Farebuzz.com. You can book tickets for clients with the airline directly for a service fee. By doing so you are covered under the agency E & O policy. The truth is airline tickets is not the way to make money in this business.

Commission split?

You will always make 75% of what the agency is paid for the first 3 years. Agents who stay with us for 3 years or longer, get 80% commission.

What can I book?

Hotels, rental cars, train tickets, airline tickets, cruises, tours, Disney World passes, and other attractions. Anything that offers agent's commission. If the supplier does not offer commission you can choose to charge your client a fee for your time and work. Most airlines are no longer paying a commission. However, you can charge service fees or use suppliers like Farebuzz to earn a small amount on airline tickets. If the client needs a hotel or car with their airline tickets, you can turn into a package which may yield you a higher commission.

How will I book trips?

There is no one way to make bookings. Each supplier is different. Many times you will book online. But there will be times where you need to call a supplier to make a booking. Many suppliers pay higher commissions if you book online, but there will be times that a supplier either does not offer online booking or you just need to speak to a human being. We don't have a website where you can book everything because there is no such thing. Any agency that tells you there is a computer system that allows you to make bookings with all suppliers, is not offering all the options for booking. We have about 400 suppliers within our database that we ask you to work with. These are suppliers that we know work well with agents, pay commission, and pay timely.

Without an IATAN card, how do I make bookings?

An IATAN card is not what is used for making bookings. You use an IATAN number which is what Dugan's Travels has or you use an account number a supplier has given Dugan's Travels. You will be booking reservations using one of these. IATAN cards are for travel agent identification for fam trips or other travel agent events. They are not used for making bookings. IATAN cards are earned when you make $5000 or more in commissions in a year. That means you must have been paid by Dugan's Travels $5000 or more in a year period to qualify.

Can I charge a service fee for my work to clients?

Absolutely. Dugan's Travels can charge your clients a service fee through our merchant account.

How many hours do I have to work?

It is YOUR business and you get to choose when you work. It is expected that you are checking your email and logging on to the agent website regularly. When clients are traveling you are on call 24/7. Dugan's does not have an 800 line for your clients to call in an emergency. However, many of our suppliers do have that option. You need to be available for your clients should they run into any problems while traveling.

When will I be paid on the bookings?

You are paid after travel is completed by the client and the payment has been received by the supplier. Rule of Thumb: 60 – 90 days after the clients has RETURNED from travel. Commission is paid by direct deposits only on the 15th of each month (unless the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday).

Will I be allowed to get travel agent discounts?

Agents will qualify for an IATAN card after making $5000 in commission in one year. This card allows you to take discounted trips and receive discounts at hotels, rental car companies, etc. Agents must be with our agency at least 6 months and actively selling before you may be approved to participate in a FAM trip or use of the agency ID information for the purpose of taking advantage of discounted travel.


- New Requirements by CLIA require $5,000 in cruise commission for the calendar year.
- Agents who meet this requirement may apply for the card.
**Note agents may still obtain CLIA certifications (ACC, MCC, ECC)


- Must complete our training program
- Must earn $5000 or more in commissions in a year period.
- Must meet all other IATAN requirements. www.iatan.org has a listing of what is required.

Any other charges?

Postage- which we try to keep as low as possible for you. Most tickets are electronic so there are no tickets to be mailed. For things that must be mailed, we will mail priority mail, regular mail, or fed ex depending on the urgency.

How do I get customers?

- Let people know you are in business
- Leave your business cards in places
- Create a FREE Facebook Business page.

When can I start to make bookings?

As soon as you complete your training, you can begin making bookings.

Can I get a website?

We have a fabulous partnership with Clamshell Studios. To learn more about our partnership please visit this LINK. You can also build your own through companies like www.homestead.com

Having a Web presence is very important. However please do not confuse that with being the next big OTA. Being a travel agent is not referring a customer to a website and telling them to book on their own. Your job will be to make sure you find the right match for your clients by qualifying them to the right destination and product. Your website would be to promote you, your branding, specialty etc. also clients can read past client reviews on your site, see what you specialize in and be able to find you when doing their research online.

How do I make client payments?

Client payments are made directly to the travel supplier using the clients credit card. You will have the client fill out a credit card authorization form. You can then make payments on the reservation directly to the supplier. Payments can be made online or by phone depending on the supplier. Clients may pay by check but there are special rules concerning these payments and the process may be lengthy. Pricing and availability are not guaranteed if payment is not made on time, so this is not a recommended method.

How do I know this is not a scam?

The only real way to know if we are legitimate is to do your research. You are welcome to contact any of our agents listed at www.duganstravels.net. You can also do a web search for Jennifer Dugan or Dugan's Travels and read what is online. We are in good standing with ARC, OSSN, NACTA, IATAN, CLIA, and Vacation.com. We are registered with the state of CA, FL, IA and WA.

Can I work with a partner or can my spouse work with me?

Yes, you can have a partner. BOTH people must pay the join fee and complete training. You can pool together your sales and only have one quota to meet- but no one can work with you even if it is someone who just takes calls for you without being insured.

What if I decide this isn't right for me?

If you decide you no longer want to work with us we ask that you submit your request in writing. We will then send you paperwork to end our contractual agreement. All funds paid in advance are non-refundable.